As many of you know, Mommy went to St. Louis for 2 nights to see the New York Rangers play the St. Louis Blues in their season opener. I was bummed that I couldn’t go with her and I know that Mommy was, too. I could have used a little getaway!
While Mommy was gone, Grandma and Grandpa watched me. Mommy wanted to make sure that they knew everything about taking care of me so she typed up lots of information and tips. She taped the pages to the cabinets and also emailed a copy to both my grandparents. The pages were divided into topics so now that Mommy is back, had a conversation with Grandma about how I did, and assessed the entire situation, I’m ready to issue Grandma and Grandpa their report card. Their grades are based on each topic in the document that Mommy prepared.
- I got all my meals (or so we believe) and ate very well. On the instruction sheet, Mommy said that I could have 2 gelatin square per day. She pre-cut them so they were ready to go. As you may know, I emphasize over and over again in my YouTube videos that if you take gelatin for possible positive effects for the skin, coat, and joints, you should check with your vet first, get approval, AND find out what dosage you should take. Well, I know exactly how much I’m supposed to take because of what my vet told Mommy and that’s why Mommy told Grandma and Grandpa that I could have 2 squares per day. Even though Mommy was only gone for 2 days, she left me enough squares for about 8 days. Ummmm, Grandma gave me ALL the squares over the 2 days!!!! That is DEFINITELY too much of the supplement so that’s why I can’t give a grade of any higher than a B-. I wasn’t given any treats, which is OK but Mommy left a special bag of my favorites and she would have rather I had some of those than the gelatin overdose!! I was forced to be a HYPOCRITE and do the exact opposite of what I preach in every single video!
- Mommy made a list of where she keeps bowls of fresh water for me. Water was refreshed in all locations except…my room!! I played in there a lot so by the time Mommy got home, the water was filthy. Yuck! Fresh water is one of the most important things so the water in my room is why this category received a C.
- I was given all my medications but, strangely enough, tonight’s dose was missing, even though the last dose that was supposed to be administered was this morning. Mommy thought maybe Grandma AND Grandpa gave me a dose, resulting in the missing dose but that wasn’t the case. Grandpa didn’t give me any meds. Mommy asked Grandma if maybe she was being forgetful and actually gave me my morning dose twice. Grandma was sure she didn’t. We’re not quite sure where the mystery dose went so, to be on the safe side, Mommy skipped tonight’s dose and I’ll resume, as usual, tomorrow morning.
- I was taken out a lot and had plenty of opportunities to be outside. Thank goodness! This was a big one for Mommy! She takes me out quite a bit throughout the day so we wanted to make sure that I continued to be taken out every few hours in her absence. This was important. Good job, Grandma and Grandpa!
- Since I have Cushing’s Disease, it’s not good when I get stressed out. Mommy listed my most frequent stressors and ways to keep my stress low. Grandma said she was very attentive to how I was feeling and behaving and, when Mommy got home, she was happy to see that I looked good and wasn’t stressed. This is great because the last time Mommy went away, I got quite stressed.
- Mommy left a list of rules and I think most of them were followed pretty well! Mommy asked Grandma if Aunt Molly Belle bullied me and Grandma pretty much said that she did. So…2 rules were violated (No running on the stairs. No roughhousing.). Those were 2 of 3 rules that could have been dangerous for me so that’s why this gets a B-.
- Oh, you guys! Mommy LOVES seeing photos of me and they only take a second to take. Mommy asked Grandma for cute pics of me. She sent 3 photos the ENTIRE TIME Mommy was away. Mommy was totally having Raegan-withdrawal and it’s not like she was in a court-ordered Raegan-detox program so there was no reason for her not to receive pics!!!! I posted 1 of the photos on Instagram and Facebook after editing it quite a bit. The other 2 photos are in this post. 1 of them is so dark and my eyes are practically closed. In the other one, I’m looking away from the camera and you can see the bald patch from my hot spot. My goodness! What the heck?!
Overall grade: B
- I’m alive!!!! Mommy says that I can’t have gelatin for a few days since I ate the amount that a dog that weighs 90-120 lbs. should have received. I’m not taking my medication for tonight because we’re not sure if I took my meds twice at some point. Other than that, Grandma and Grandpa did very well.
Mommy’s grade: A-
- Mommy now knows what she needs to change with my care notes and that she needs to highlight certain information or give reasons for providing certain instructions. That’s easy enough, though!
I don’t think Mommy is going away for a while. Actually, I don’t think she has ANY trips planned right now. While I was fine while Mommy was away, I’m wondering if there are any ways to prevent her from leaving again!